Since 1998

Since 1998
Singapore

Welcome to Singapore Portrait & Caricature artist Reggie Wan's Blog

Portrait Studio Singapore is where you can do a portrait or caricature from your photos as a gift for your loved ones,friends,colleagues & business associates for all occassions such as birthday,wedding,farewell,house warming & etc.There is a variety of mediums used for your choice.

Bookings for on-site caricature service for corporate events,wedding,d & d, etc are also available.Feel free to visit our website http://www.iportraitstudio.com for more samples as well as rates.

For enquiry,please send your email to reggiewan@yahoo.com.



Saturday, September 6, 2008

In response to my main critic.

The reason this post is a lengthy one is because a particular caricaturist has recently posted some criticisms which seem insulting and humiliating on his blog and many of the references made were rather direct in nature.
In the past,responses received from him in my blog used to be compliments and even praises which I paid scant attention to, but lately the comments have become too insinuating to ignore and it reflected on his insincerity.
There are probably more than 10 caricaturists locally, most of whom could offer on-site caricature services to various clients and event organisers. Full timers in this profession like me are few, the rest would be part timers who may have other full time jobs.
Artists do have their admirers as well as critics and like any form of art, caricature can also be very subjective, there are no hard and fast rules, what is most important to me is that my clients are satisfied with what I can deliver.
My personal standard is that I aim to achieve a good level of resemblance of the subjects whether I am drawing or painting base on their photographs submitted to me. I always want my clients to feel that the money they have spent was worth it, and it is with this firm believe that I have been able to maintain my clientele for a decade at my shop in Far East Plaza.
As for on-site drawing events,I strive to attain at least 60% level of resemblance, owing to factors like the environment, lighting, my mental focus and the speed in executing each piece of work and I always do my best. I have to depend on this business for a living so I cannot afford to produce poor or sub-standard works which no clients would pay good money for, not even if I am to do it free of charge.
It had seemed that this critic of mine would have me think otherwise, in his blog post dated 19.08.08 (which happened to coincide with my birthday) he wrote that ”customers who order caricature drawing, cant’ really accept too contemporary drawing style, ‘must be looks alike’ is the golden rules here, unless you are doing it for editorial, that was different matter, that could be the reason why not much caricaturist can break this rules...” whether it dawned on him or not, it all sounded like some lame excuse for being unable to produce good enough drawings in the first instant, and he went on to declare his ruling on the matter. In stating that “(although I am in ‘rank number 999’) haahaa! So I would not like to talk bad about other artists to higher their own image, because it is equally laughing at you self.” he is so full of himself and he is indeed his own best teacher, for me the best teacher is the customer.
His blog post dated 21.06.08 had picked on Mr R, Mr L and Ms L, Mr D and “some other” entertainers and professionals whom he addressed as his “brothers” for being tardy and greedy, show aggressiveness and behaved in unsavoury manners which he personally took notice of. Let him know that this “brother” would take such criticisms constructively but I don’t know what the others may feel.
Let's face it, business is about competition, just as many copied bubble tea, coffee bun and now the doughnut when they became popular,so do art forms like caricature, expect the popular techniques to be widely followed. As they would say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you have to work very hard to stay in business.Time is money, so don’t spend yours by going around telling on other people lest they may also have something to say about you in return.
Last but not least, my “brother,” you can fart and want everybody on this tiny red dot to hear it, but the stink will always be at your end.The next time you go around farting, do remember it’s not ME EXCUSED but its excuse me.

No comments: